Jaime over at theperpetualpageturner.com hosts a reading survey every year looking back at the year in books. This is my first time and has been a lot of fun! I love this time of year when I can reflect and then look toward the next year. Though looking at everyone elses my TBR has just doubled…
**2018 READING STATS**
Number Of Books You Read: 65
Number of Re-Reads: 4
Genre You Read The Most From: Thriller
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager – I just could not put it down! New auto buy author for me
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Eliza’s by Sara Shepherd. I felt so sad when I finished! It just wasn’t what I wanted it to be
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. I guess I was just expecting a usual thriller and it surprised me in a really really good way.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
The Painted Man series by Peter v Brett. IT IS SO GOOD. One of my rereads this year!
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
I started The Cruel Prince by Melissa Albert, the best sequel of 2018 for me was Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson and best series ender was The Core by Peter v Brett. Though Kingdom of Ash was really close!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Dervla McTiernan. I could not put The Ruin down and I’m excited for the sequel in 2019!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Not my usual genre but LOVED it. And bawled my eyes out at the end.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. So epic and worth the wait – my favourite in the series so far.
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J Maas – I just can’t right now it’s still too raw!!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
The City of Brass by S A Chakraborty.
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Eleanor Oliphant from Eleanor Oliphant is
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Circe by Madeline Miller. I enjoyed this so much and I’ll be reading Song for Achilles in 2019.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin. The premise left me pondering for a few days – I found it really really interesting.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
The Alienist by Caleb Carr – was sooo good! Could not believe I hadn’t heard of it before Netflix.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
“Because I’ll tell you what I think. Your place isn’t somewhere. It’s someone. I’m here because it’s where Luke is. You’d have gone to Brussels if Oscar was your place.”
– Sarah, One Day in December
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Shortest: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie at 121 pages
Longest: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson at 1248 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Wife Between us – did not see that twist coming!!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Aelin and Rowan!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Sarah and Lu from One Day in December #friendgoals
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Dumarier. SO GOOD. Devoured it over Halloween and should really do Rebecca next year i think!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Cormac Reilly from The Ruin.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. A reread this year! But I still enjoy this series – it just makes me smile
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoom
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas. It just wasn’t what I needed it to be unfortunately. Felt like a tease…
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2018?
Out of the Bex – and her bookstagram is amazing too!
2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018?
Kingdom of Ash review. I really enjoyed reflecting on the book and although it was difficult to write I had a lot of fun putting it together.
3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018:?
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?
None! It’s definitely something I want to change for 2019!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?
Being offered my first book in exchange for a review!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding time! I’ve had some insanely busy months this year and blogging was certainly something that I let slide – weeks without posting! And then playing catch up. I would like to be a little more organised coming into 2019.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J Maas
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Is it cheating to say all of them?! I love that my blog has been a progression and I’m excited to where it may go in 2019. A bit more love across the board would be lovely
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes! Smashed through my Goodreads goal of 52 books to read in 2018. Might need to up the stakes for 2019!!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I have an afternoon booked…
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I always enjoy her writing and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was a favourite of mine for 2018.
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. Abby from Crimebythebook has been talking it up on instagram and it defintely sounds like my cup of tea!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Ooh I don’t know yet!! My TBR is massive and I like surprises so I don’t tend to look further than a month in advance…
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
Read more out of my comfort zone and participate in more Top 10 Tuesday posts. I always read them but never seem to get my own together in time!